Friday, July 23, 2010

Head-shrinking

Today my shrink brought up an interesting observation that I've never examined before. I write -- or, really, I use language as a tool, whether it's written or spoken -- as a means of controlling my environment. I have little control over the world at large, as is the case for most humans. But I have complete control over what I create, and what I say. And I learned at a very early age that words have power over people.

Words are not just my craft, but the rudder and keel of my craft. And my hand is always on the tiller. Words do what I want them to do (most of the time) and that is my power over my world.

Interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Usually I can control my characters, but not always. And sometimes they need to do things I don't want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I started current WIP as mix of past and present, first person.
    Went to past, but being done in multiple POV; current count of POV's 7.
    Just so you know, I am raphee from AW. Your comments made me come over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad my comments on AW are good for something! welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete