Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Inching toward a better job...?


Yesterday I was trained to do some very basic penguin care. Exciting, because I hope this means they're already considering me for a position that *might* open up toward the end of the summer. Not exciting because a) I hate fish prep more than anything -- seriously, I would rather clean and skin rodents than do fish prep, and this fish is herring so these evil little scales get all over everything, including me; b) penguins stink like hell. But still, I'll take it.

Said position probably won't give me more hours and won't give me any benefits, but it will pay me almost twice what I'm making now, which would be an enormous help and a huge relief. Anyway, that position all depends on whether the gal currently working it moves. She's seriously considering it, but you never know. I'd love to have that job -- it would entail more responsibility and a whole lot more BIRDS! Woohoo!! Plus it would get me a step closer to grabbing a permanent, full-time position with benefits.

Between work and my much-alluded to "personal problems" I have had a hell of a time keeping myself writing. This morning, I have a critique to send to somebody and then I am going to see if I can't get in a good 1500 words. I really want to get Baptism for the Dead finished by the end of the summer, which I should be able to do handily if I just stay focused! I still love the book but I am allowing outside forces to drive me away from my disciplined writing routine.

If I can't get those 1500 words done this morning, I'll do them after I'm home from work, Hell or high water.

Oh, and here is a fun fact: some Humboldt penguins like to get hugs. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment