Friday, October 1, 2010

Screw you, blog!

Stop making me feel guilty for never updating you! There is nothing interesting going on in my life right now, although I am now finally, as of today, only working at one job instead of two. Still, screw you! My life is complicated and difficult and I don't need you nagging away inside my brain.

Bite me, blog. Just shut up. Get out of here. I'll update you later. When I have something worth saying.

Here, you can have the poem I brought to writers' group last night. Hopefully that's enough for you.

Argiope trifasciata

We stopped to stretch our legs
above the Pendleton Gap.
The Earth was a bright stone,
the sky grading smooth from facet to facet,
turquoise, cerulean, diamond white.
We ignored the signs -- Danger: cliff edge
and climbed the barrier.
On the crest of the basalt heaves
among splinters of teasel
we lay on our backs to photograph
enormous spiders, white and gold,
fat uneven opals strung heavy
in their platinum nets.
The van ticked, cooling, beside the shelter.
Generations of names eroded out of the wood
where, like glyphs, they had been carved
by vanished travelers.

Every time I pass that way
I recall the name of the spiders,
genus and species,
the smell of dust devils dying in the valley,
the weight of your friendship
a warm stone in my palm.

No comments:

Post a Comment